Tuesday 5 November 2013

Evaluation of Music Magazine (Double Page Spread)


It would seem that most double page spreads are the same; they have a plain white (or black) background and have images and text contrasting from the plain background. This is effective because it catches the readers attention of the text, so they actually read the article. They also use one large main image that takes up one page, so when the reader turns to that page, they will immediately know who/what the article is about because of the large image that is taking up one page. On the opposite page, there will be the article about the music artist, using key graphological features such as empty space to create dramatic attention: the aim to draw the reader in. The picture will sometimes conform to the branding colours: for example, 'Q' magazine had a music artist dressed in black sat on a red and white flag, with a white background. I will use this because I think this is effective. However, I think I will have my model in front of a more interesting/colourful background because I don't want my magazine to appear too boring/plain. I will also use one of two secondary images on the page where the text is on to make it a bit more interesting. I will also use contrasting colours to make the page look more dramatic.

Some magazines do appeal to their audience, for example, Kerrang made their double page spread look very gothic by the use of colour and images, they had a black background and they contrasted this with white and red font (the branding colours). I will probably do the same but will not have a black background because I think this will make my magazine look too dark and it does not relate to the social group/audience I am trying to portray to, as the genre will be pop/modern music.

No comments:

Post a Comment